Thursday, January 27, 2005

Yesterday

So yesterday Cedric and I were about to leave work for Hyper Maxima, when someone called me in to a "meeting." It turned out to be two people's birthdays, and champagne and wine and fruit and chocolate were in order. I told Cedric to take his coat off and come party.

It was not a huge deal, but that's cause it turned out to be the pre-game party. The actual party was like ten minutes later, similar, but including sandwiches, whisky, brandy, vodka, and liquer. And people all said alot of things about the birthday girl (50 years old), who happens to work in the same office as I, and I decided to say something, even though most people had things prepared and I didn't plus I was drunk:

"The most important thing for me about a person is his smile. If somebody smiles alot I like him automatically, and it becomes hard for that to change. I've told my friends all over the world about how I love my job so much I come to work with a smile every morning. Sometimes, though, waking up at six in the morning isn't at all conducive to a smile. It's not always easy to smile anyway. But on those mornings, sitting on the micro bus, I think 'well, maybe Aniuta will be there.' And if she is, I know she'll always say good morning to me with a smile big and beautiful enough to make me forget all of my problems."

That's the second time I've given a speach here without the benefit of preperation, and this time it was remarkably punctuated by head nodding, smiles, and raucus laughter about the microbus thing. Does that mean I'm like some kind of good public speaker? What am I supposed to do about that? Hello, are you there, God? It's me, Margret.

No comments:

This is my counter: