Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Trains, Locomotives, and Railroad Tracks

Lately we been riding the train from Klaipeda to Vilnius, cause during summer they have youth discounts bring the cost down to just 19.20 each, less than 40% of bus costs. Plus a certain special baby I know behaves much better in a train compartment than on a bus. Here's a weird thing about trains in Lithuania (and Russia, maybe all of Europe, I don't freakin' know): no bar car, no food car. What's the deal with that?! It's a five hour "express train" (two and a half hour car ride), don't they realize they could make alot of money selling drinks and sandwiches at double prices?

Drinking alcohol is in fact forbidden on the train, but I assume that's just byobb. What they do do is walk down the train twice per trip selling soft drinks and crackers. Though you may not byob, you may byo sandwiches. But my pocket knife wasn't where it was supposed to be (in my pocket), so I went to the personel compartment to ask about using a knife. I brought the buns and cheese with me (the ham was presliced ham), cause I figured maybe if I ask really nicely they'll cut them for me, cause how the hell could they hand out knives to the passengers? Well, they did; they gave me a big old knife to take back to the compartment. So that was good, anyway, and as long as you manage to byob on the qt, the train saves you coinage on your clownage!

2 comments:

Liepa said...

they don't sell food or drink in the trains here either... no alcohol to be bought in the new haven train station!

Aras said...

i've ridden on them before, but it was too long ago to remember where to.

there's probably enough drunks in the new haven train station as it is.

This is my counter: