Thursday, August 03, 2006

Anything manlier and funner than destruction?

Maybe construction.* There's something very fun and manly about putting things together. Today I bought a bookcase and sand box. The bookcase was predrilled with good instructions, so that was easy, but fun anyway, cause it looks very nice. The sand box was neither predrilled nor with good instructions. And when I asked my uncle to borrow his electric drill he misheard me, he thought I asked for an electric boom box, so I start screwing the thing together by hand. Then he asks me why I don't use an electric one. He gives me a 60 year old drill (no exageration there) with one direction and one speed, so if you make a mistake you have to unscrew it by hand, and if you drill too fast you'll shred the drill bit. Also, if you let up on the trigger, it takes so much fiddling to get it turning again, I just never let go for like 45 minutes, doing everything else with one hand, and my uncle's and special lady's help. To get to the end, though, with so many pitfalls, made it even more fun to fill it with sand, which I brought over in a wheel barrow wearing my wife beater, which made my special lady say I'd make a nice lookin farmer.

Also a good thing to construct is a Burrito. Today with left over chicken I made bbq bacon chicken burritos. We were out of mayonaise, so instead I used gravy! How do you like that?! Gravy!!! It was awesome!!! Gravy and bbq sauce from the states (thanks Tete!)!! Yeah!!

* It took me a while to think of a good antonym for destruction. I was like "Building? Making? Creating? Hmm..."

6 comments:

Jim Gust said...

Erm, I gave Alphonsas a set a portable tools just a few years ago, what happened to them?

Aras said...

I specifically asked him about that, and he claims it was ten years ago, and that it's burned out. Actually, though, the sixty year old one didn't work either until I tinkered with it. I fixed the windshield wipers today using the same method. I feel like I'm becoming handy.

Jim Gust said...

yeah, it could have been ten years ago. time flies when you're having fun. but the tools would not have burned out in ten years, unless perhaps there was a problem matching the charger to your current.

Liepa said...

you need to come CONstruct another movie here with these oversized veggies i'm finding...

i brought a huge heavy bag of them to new york for kelly's 21st. she found them hilarious and fun. i also got her 21 small gifts from the dollar store next to stop and shop, which is the absolute BEST new store! it has everything!

mrdarius said...

you're quite the tinkerer it seems. was it a gas-powered drill? deisel perhaps?

Aras said...

it was electric, but the cord was made from two different cords that were taped together, loosely.

This is my counter: