Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wedding Highlights I

These are gonna come in bits and pieces--quotes and moments--cause the celebration lasted 8 days. Weddings that include a mass and 100 guests are very rare in Lithuania (usually it's just the marriage sacrament and ~30 guests), so comments about the splendor are re: that.

My speech at the reception included this: "We're not getting married married because we love each other..." I couldn't finish my thought before a tremendous roar of laughter silenced me for a minute. "I mean, we can love each other all we want without getting married; we're getting married in order to have a family. We want a big family because both of our families are so caring and so fun to be with."

One woman with two unmarried children said, "I've never been to such a wonderful wedding in all my life, and I probably never will!"

When we got to the reception we had to win our table from cross-dressers, since the place was dramatically overbooked. To satisfy them, we had to sing them a song. What song to we both know better than any other? Krambambolis! Several Lithuanian folk experts were astonished to hear a folk song for the first time. I guess first wave immigrants brought it over to the States and it died out in Lithuania.

I'd never seen my aunt wear pants before this in my life. Possibly she never had. After a few days of seeing me and my friends in casual wear, my 77 year old aunt pops in wearing torn, cut off jeans and laughs, "I found these going through some boxes of clothes; you think I can hang with Sarunas and his crew now?!"

5 comments:

owner said...

My crew?! Lol, yeah she can definitely hang.

mrdarius said...

those were probably your daisy dukes she was wearing.

Anonymous said...

I hope they weren't the assless jeans I used to see you wear!

Trashcan said...

I knew immediately when they asked you to sing a song what you would pick. It's just too bad there weren't a couple more amerikos lietuviai to help sing the song.

Aras said...

yeah we didn't even discuss the song choice. my special lady just said "so?" and i said "ah huh! kram..."

This is my counter: