Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Vilnius Weekend--Part Two

Friday I had to take a bus from Riese to Centras, cause our Audi is busted. This was a little complicated, since buses only run from Riese about twelve times a day, and the schedule is busted busted off the bus stop post, cause hoodlums like to take care of such things for us. I was less than ten minutes late for my business meeting, however.

I first met with the women who is in charge of Erasmus (European exchange programs). As it turns out, the person who previously held my position fucked up more than I thought, and didn't give me much to work with. But she's super good looking (and married of course), so let bygones be bygones. And, either way, the woman and I worked out a decent way for me to take care of everything on my end with a little delay but not too much embarrassment, which is spectacular. We're supposed to have sent a few student abroad already, and we got financing for it, but didn't send anybody. That's bad. But, we can return the financing along with an explanation, and get the same money back to send double student abroad spring semester. Also, I get to send six teachers abraod to teach for a week, and one or more of them can be me! I just have to make agreement with other universities in Europe, and they'll finance any trips I have to make myself to visit the universities and make the agreements.

Then, by chance, I found out that our students are the right age to participate in Comenius, an internship program. I went over to the Comenius HQ and the the low down. The students apply not through us as a college, but directly through Comenius. They get better financing than Erasmus students, and we can give them course credit for their intership if they come back to continue their education here (graduates can also do it, as long as they haven't had paid teaching work yet). Next week i'll hold a brief assembly telling all the second years that they should do it next year.

1 comment:

Trashcan said...

No comments about your business trip huh? I guess people are really only interested in reading about your crazy party times. It does sound like you actually are doing something though, and you do actually know what you are doing which is good. When you first left it was a little unclear to me what exactly you were doing as far as being being in charge of that department when you left. good to know you've got that all figured out.

This is my counter: