Monday, November 13, 2006

An Error, A Catastrophe, A Duping of Which I was the Butt, and A Slice of Bacon

Saturday evening I didn't have any mixer, and I thought, "maybe plain gin would be good." Nope.

Sunday morning my special lady made soup, which was a bit of an event, since I usually do all the cooking. The plan was to eat it for lunch after we went to market. When we came back, I put it back on the burner to warm up...and we didn't come back to the kitchen till it was burning. Luckily, it was only a little smoky, and my special lady decided it was still edible, no big deal. As she stand stirring it, I put away everything we bought at market, and the last thing is two kg (2.2 lb.) of bananas, about eight bananas. The normal place we keep bananas was taken, so I hung the bag on the door of a cabinet. At the last second I realized it wasn't going to hold, and I opened the door to catch the bananas before they fell. But I swung it open too fast and inadvertently propelling the bananas directly into the big pot of boiling soup, upending the whole thing in a deafening cacophony! Nobody died, no one was even burned, somehow, and miraculously we were able to scrape up two bowls of soup of the stovetop...but I had to clean up the mess, much of which coated the sides of the counted adjacent to the oven, that's no easy reach! Also, I’m changing my title on my business cards to read “World’s Greatest Idiot.”

In my long tradition of weaseling myself into discounted public transportation, I tried something for just the second time this morning. Instead of punching my ticket on the bus, I just held it in my hand, ready to punch it if a controller come on the bus. See, in Vilnius the tickets get stamped with the time, and they're not valid unless stamped a minute or two before the inspection, but in Klaipeda, it's just a hole-punch configuration. So I'm doin it, I'm getting away with it, then at one of the stops I hear, "Tickets! Control! Tickets!" I stick my ticket in, slam the puncher, take it out and return to being non-chalant, no one the wiser, very proud of myself in deed. Until the laughter begins, and it turns out that it wasn't a controller at all, just some brat kids. Duping my way into a free bus ride got me duped myself. Was that even a sentence? Whether it was a joke, or a way to score tickets from outgoing passengers, I don't know. I just know that I'm going to try that myself, by golly!

I just ate a delicious slice of smoked bacon, removed from the top of and as an appetizer to my left over meatloaf lunch.

1 comment:

special lady said...

LOL!
skaitydama juokiausi lygiai taip pat, kaip Tu sekmadieni. Matyt man reikejo laiko, kad pagaliau suprasciau, kaip tai yra juokinga ir kad nera ko pergyventi tokioj situacijoj.
Po sito mazycio ivykio, galbut, galima daryti isvada, jog kol kas dar neatejo laikas man pradeti savo kulinarine karjera :)

This is my counter: