Friday, December 22, 2006

They gotta learn politeness

I have a second job at the moment teaching advanced English to a few groups of professionals. So in class this morning, I ask each student as I go through role call "What's new? Anything interesting happen this morning?" Each student talks a bit, it's like a warm up activity. One student went on for about 15 minutes about a chat he had with his CEO about why it's vital for them to have alternate energy sources. We got through all the students, and I asked if they had any question. The point is, I choose a question for role call that I'll have an answer for myself. They have to learn to be polite and ask the same question back, like: How you doing? Good, how you doing? Finally one does, and I say:

Something certainly did! I got in a cab to come to work, and the driver didn't know wher Soc. Mokslo Kolegija is, so I just to him to go down Minijos gatve. He was trying to figure out where it was, but I just told him I'd explain it along the way. Then I'm thinking, when we get there I'll point out the college next door, so he knows where it is for future reference. That'll be my good deed of the day, or whatever, and then I screamed at the top of my lungs "ATSARGIAI!!!" And then BAM (I punch my right hand into my left palm) we hit this lady in the middle of the street. She rolls up agains the windshield, then off the hood onto the street. We both just sit there silently for what seemed like about 30 seconds, then he got out to help her up. I could tell before he even got out that she wasn't dead, she was already moving around on the ground. What was I supposed to do at that point? Get out and help? Get out and run away? I didn't know. I was in a state of shock. When she stood up I could see something sticking out of the top of her purse, a large bottle of vodka. A cop stopped on the other side of the street and came over. They put her in the back of the cab. Finally I got over it and got out, told the cop the driver wasn't at fault, gave him my phone number, and just walked away.

Student goes, "That was your cab?! Traffic's backed up for miles!"

Another student goes, "So...you had an intersting morning?"

1 comment:

mrdarius said...

jeeezusss...

This is my counter: