Thursday, November 08, 2012

Have Diarrhea, Will Travel

Or, ‎"From each according to his ability to give a shit"

Or, ‎"Dos and Don'ts of a Trip to China"

  • Don't drink the water, even from water coolers, even at classy hotels: they fill them up from the hose, I saw them at it, and I spent my last four days there running to the john
  • Do get the Chinese medicine when you get diarrhea; it won't cure you, but it's so cheap, you'd be stupid not to buy it!
  • Don't bother bringing booze: their local ~90 proof liquor is cheaper than western brand name bottled water, and if you like, it comes in gallon jugs.
  • Do BYOB if you don't like liquorice, that's what they flavor their stuff with.
  • Don't expect anybody to speak (or admit to speaking) much English, even in four star hotels.
  • Do make sure taxi drivers turn on the meter, unless you like having incoherent bilingual arguments
  • Don't expect anybody to care outside of the markets: the only place anybody cares what you have to say is the place they get your cash direct; hotels, restaurants, shops, all the places where employees get paid by someone other than you will have the worst customer service ever
Incidentally, I was in China summer of 2011. I just found this draft lying around my blog post draft box now. 

No comments:

This is my counter: