Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Riding that train...

Gedas and I had fun friday night. But I'll skip to the awesome part, that was one of the most exciting things i've ever done. At three a.m. we couldn't get a cab home; they were all busy or wouldn't answer the phone or whatever, but we had to walk a few kilometers in the cold dark night.

We started off from Mano Kavine (My Cafe), crossed the bridge into Uzupis, and were walking up the hill past the Angel Statue. A snow plow drove by, and I thought about jumping on the back, ala the bus in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but I hesitated and it was gone. I told gedas about my impulse, and he agreed it would have been a good idea.

Then: providence! The plow stopped. We looked at each other and started running. It pulled away right as we made it but I managed to jump onto a small step ladder attached to the back and hold on, while Gedas faded away behind me.

We picked up speed (30km/h or more, I think, about 20 mph). I waved and howled to pedestrians as we passed them. We were already approaching Gedas' apartment building, but we were going too fast for me to jump off. I thought they'd stop again, like when I climbed on, but no...

not far past Gedas' building there's a turn I knew they would take, so they'd have to slow down. I waited until they started turning, and jumped off, bent legged with my handes over my head, similar to the way i was taught to land skydiving. i hit the pavement and rolled over a few times, but managed to run out of the middle of the street before getting hit by any cars.

It was totally like being in a movie or something!!! AMAZING! Gedas said he terribly regretted not jumping on with me. We'll do it again dude!

1 comment:

Rachel Croucher said...

Oh I'd be soooooooo up for that!

This is my counter: