Monday, January 08, 2007

Gender Bender Weekend

This weekend I finally bought a cordless drill. I been lookin' around for one for half a year. Where's the one I got my old man for Christmas 12 years ago for like $30?! They're all at least $150, that's the cheapest at most places. I finally found one for 142LT (~$60) Saturday, which was lucky cause I really couldn't wait anymore, I had to fix this desk so I could rearrange the furniture to make a play area for someone, dammit. I fixed it up, with a greater than 50% success rate for drilling a hole in the right place on the first try. Owning the drill and operating it successfully made me feel like a real man in a new way.

Also this weekend, I created bread for the first time in my life. The only thing I've whipped up with yeast before is pizza dough. Creating pizza isn't flamboyant, as long as you top it with dollops of spicy sauce, dabs of flesh and sautéed vegetables, and dashes of pepper flakes. Which I do, with aplomb. But what about bread? It was potato bread, is that a deviation from normal, pure baking? I don't know. Cooking may be manly, but I'm afraid baking is feminine. As good as the bread tasted, baking it make me feel like a fertile, delicate woman.

8 comments:

Liepa said...

HAHA!

i sat around with 15 guys last night and drank slovakian beer and watched the football game and ordered pizza. i am a man.

I AM MAN! have you seen the new burger king commercial, "i am man"?!??!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EazWtnhz4-4

it is HILARIOUS. talk about gender!

Aras said...

is that commercial real? that's awesome if it is! once daina mentioned that you shouldn't eat red meat more than once a week, asked me how many times i do, and i said...well, i guess about twenty.

special lady said...

taip, darbingas savaitgalis tai be abejo...
sventems besibaigiant supranti tikros eglutes turejimo namuose "privalumus" :)
istikro tai toli grazu nekelia sypsenos.

Unknown said...

YES it is a REAL commercial!

Liepa said...

oops that was me on someone else's computer

Jim Gust said...

The commercial is at least a year old. This seems like a British version, and I've only seen a 30 second version of TV. I think it was pulled after the feminazis protested it.

The image of the woman holding the double whopper on a shovel to get the guy to drag the truck is a moment of double think. Are the men rebelling or not?

Liepa said...

really? i had never seen the commercial before!

another moment of genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXUi8fOJA4&feature=PlayList&p=8A979BC31358E0A8&index=0

Jim Gust said...

i stand corrected, the feminazis didn't get it pulled. i just saw the 30-second version on the season premier of 24. the announcer had a texas accent though.

This is my counter: