Monday, April 14, 2008

Pop Quiz

Their homework for the past six days was to learn where the 50 states are (to fill state names and capitols into a U.S. map). I didn't expect anybody to get more than 10 or 20 correct, but I was surprised by one quiz. Just five states were filled in:

Washington was filled in as "Washington"
New Mexico was filled in as "CA"
California was filled in as "Mexico"
Arizona was filled in as "Cuba"
Texas was filled in as "Tokio"

Sometimes I think to myself, wait, am I training these students to be class teachers or court jesters? Searching for the answer I found this page of funny town names in America. The winners are:

Monkey's Eyebrow, AZ
Why, AZ
Hygiene, CO
Two Egg, FL
Experiment, GA
Santa Claus, IN
Beebeetown, IA (that's even funnier in Lithuanian)
Krypton, KY
Mummie, KY
Mud Lick, KY
Petroleum, KY
Plain Dealing, LA
Waterproof, LA
Boring, MD
California, MD
Crappo, MD
Hell, MI
Hot Coffee, MS
Horseheads, NY(also even funnier in Lithuanian, that's a derogotive for Latvians)
Boston, TX
Old Boston, TX
New Boston, TX

3 comments:

mrdarius said...

I've always been a fan of Manhattan, Kansas: the Little Apple

Aras said...

is that their official nick name? that's a good one. after the revolution i'm gonna change the name of my town to Yankees Suckville.

Trashcan said...

In highschool we had to memorize all the countries of africa, and possibly the rivers/mountains and fill them in on a map. I totally got them all. I wonder if i could get all the states on a US map, or if i might mix some up in the midwest. I don't know any capitols. capitols are for suckers.

This is my counter: