Monday, November 17, 2008

Ben Stiller's Movies Are, I don't know, Either a Particular Type of Treasure, or Maybe Crap, That You Have to Watch Twice to Appreciate

I had this experience years ago, when I thought Zoolander was stupid. Then I happened to watch it again cause it was all that was on, and I caught a bunch of subtle jokes and the movie grew on me. I watched it a few more times after that, and now I miss it quite a bit.

I'm through all of my movies, except for a couple horror flicks I don't want to watch alone--not because I'm scared, but because I've never understood the appeal of watching a scary movie all by yourself--and my wife usually refuses to watch with me. So I've been going through my old movies lately when I want to relax and re-watching them. I have to be very choosy because I've got a kid around, so I had to skip right by Pan's Labyrinth, Patriot, Patriot Games, Psycho, Pulp Fiction, Pulp Fiction Special Features, Rambo First Blood Part II, and Resurrecting the Champ, all the way to the Royal Tenenbaums.

I had watched it once before and didn't think very highly of it. I believe that I wrote about the experience on the blog, but for the life of me I can't find it. I would if my life were actually on the line, but you know... Anyway, the point is I thought it was perfectly cromulent this time around, and I laughed out loud at several jokes I missed the first time. It's not as much of a Ben Stiller movie as Zoolander is, but it follows the model.

3 comments:

Trashcan said...

those are both also owen wilson movies. Maybe it's owen wilson who makes the movies that don't seem good at first and then grow on you.

Anonymous said...

What about Children of the Revolution? Arguably Australia's greatest film.

Aras said...

zoolander was written and directed by ben stiller, owen wilson just acted in it, far as i can tell from IMDb. i think those three think alike, though, and their movies have a similar style.

This is my counter: