Thursday, November 20, 2008

Good Day → Bad Day → Good Day → Bad Day → Great Day

When the wife's away, it's time to have lots of fun (in the form of Christmas shopping).

I bought a rather expensive gift today, probably the most expensive one I will buy this year. It's top notch, the best. I was very happy to get it, and especially happy when, after making the guy laugh by showing him my International Teacher Identification Card and asking him for a discount, he gave me 2% off anyway. Nice. So that made it a Good Day.

On the way home I stopped off for another gift, and there happened to be a store nearby that might have the same product I'd already purchased. I thought I better check the price. I was astonished to find the same product 25% cheaper. I was surprised because I noticed other things at this store were slightly more expensive than at the first one. And I was furious with myself for not checking around. This made it a Bad Day.

I rushed back to the first store, possibly making an illegal U turn along the way. I went right up to the cashier and told her I'd come to return it. I knew I was in for the run-around. She had to go get the salesman who'd sold it to me. I explained that no amount of further consultation would change my mind. She told they can't do returns for products that are in perfect working order, and I told her not only can they, but that they must according to the law. I had to wait. He came by, asked why I want to return it, I refused to tell him, saying merely that I'm done wasting my time, let's just move our days along shall we? He called somebody. He tried to sell me again. I told him what I'd told his colleague, that no further amount of persuasion would sell me, that I've made my decision. He told the cashier to refund my money. Then he dared to tell me that next time I want to buy something, I'd better make up my mind first. Why should I do that? Because it's bad to return things. Why's it bad?! Because you shouldn't buy things if you aren't sure you want them. Why not, I have the right to return things, it's not bad for me, so no big deal, right? Well, it's bad for the store. Why? We don't like to deal with it. Well I'm the customer and I'm always right, so should the store deal with it or should I have to deal with the store? Then he mumbled something through his notched eyebrow as I walked out. Standing up for myself made it a Good Day again.

Then back to the second store and to the product. As I looked for the box I became confused because I couldn't find it. No big deal, I can take the one on display. I called over salesgirl and asked for it, and she came up with it in a box slightly out of place. Is this the price tag for it, I asked, pointing to the price tag next to the display item? No. That's the price for a much crappier one. Crap. Everything else is more expensive here. And I could have avoided this ridiculous waste of time and nerves by checking the price before I rushed back to the first store. Now it is again quite a Bad Day.

We have to go to a computer in the corner of the store to get the price. I was very relieved to find out that the price is not higher, it's identical. All I've wasted is time and gas. When she tells me the price, which is identical to the first store, and asks me if it's okay, I say, Well no, I saw the same product at [the first store] for less. Then I whip out my ITIC card. She says well...I can give you 7% off. Yes. Bingo. Bullseye. Turns out my stupidity in conjunction with my miserliness ended up saving me an additional five percent. Totally worth the time and the gas. In your face first store. That's a Christmas present for me!

No comments:

This is my counter: