Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Das Rest of Thanksgiving Weekend

Friday was cool man. I went to meet my sister, Liepa, at New York, which neither of us had been to, for an Erasmus days party, which was open bar and buffet. There were performances by each institution, each group of Erasmus (European exchange) students demonstrating somehow their first impression of Lithuania, via artwork or by reenacting their first week at school, or if you're the crappy unprepared students of VU (lokys and liepa) you put the drunk japanese guy who doesn't mind singing on stage, and let 'im rip. Then, at random intervals, the other students standing behind him shout out something about how too drunk they are to perform.

Then I jetted after the funniest and most awkward conversation I ever, ever had (and the open bar became a regular bar). I met Darius and we went to a couple bars and chit chatted, since we haven't seen each other for a year. One place, Amatininkai, had a small pool of water on the floor that kept us waiting 20 minutes for beers. We left after antagonized pleading by the waitress for us to stay and keep waiting. For chirissake, for some reason this puddle closed the freakin bar.

Then we went to SMC (The Contemporary Art Center, a popular bar) and I saw my buddy Arunce, who cut off his hair. I didn't even recognize him, he had like 18 inch long hair at least last time i saw him, now it's almost shaved.

Friday Lokys and I went to a pregamer with Kristina, but then we to different games afterwards. We went to meat up with Agne, Liepa, Darius, Vaiva, and a couple other dudes was with them, we all finally met at Artistai. We had to wait a couple hours for a table, but that was cool cause we spent most of the time dancing and not standing around. Good tunes.

Sunday was Thanksgiving Dinner again at Darius and Vaiva's mother, Rasa's new apartment, which is the second most mansion-like apartment I've ever seen in person. Good food and good peops again, the ones I met anyway, there was like 40 people there. An 11:30 bus (car) ride got me into bed at 2:40 a.m. Then, at 6:55 a.m., "Good morning, time to teach the students!"

First I told them about Thanksgiving, and they told me about themselves just for practice, but then I gave them an interesting assignment which kept my class participation to a minimum: you're all turkey's and I'm the farmer, one of you's getting eaten for thanksgiving dinner, and you don't want it to be you; write and give a speech to convince that you're a poor choice and that I'd be much better off choosing somebody else in particular from the class. It was very funny, the most popular choice for "somebody else" was usually either the student's mate or a "fatter" girl in class! They all took it in good spirits, though, maybe because none of them are actually over weight.

4 comments:

mrdarius said...

that is an amazing lesson for your class. very creative.

i would have explained that you had 2 reasons not to eat me: 1) since i'm the strongest of turkeys, my meat is tougher and not delicious, and 2) since i'm the strongest of turkeys, i can kick your ass...especially with these steel talons i've got. and especially since i'm the size of a house: enormous turkey

mrdarius said...

ps - what was the firstmost mansionlike apartment you've seen in person? when i think mansionlike, i think 50 bathrooms, grand pianos, chandeliers, oriental rugs, and golden showers (ha ha). my mom's place has a much nicer design than that.

Aras said...

the first one was rita sakute's. spiral staircase says mansion to me.

Christian said...

good to hear, that erasmus day partys are still the same.
and still vu students are unprepared ;-) Great!

This is my counter: