Thursday, September 15, 2005

The oven disaster

The other night when I was feverish i thought it would be wise to make meatloaf and fries and pickle soup. It was sort of wise, cause in my delerium I made some changes that turned out to be delicious, even in my non-delirious state (the left overs).

Anyway, the disasterous part is that I bought this new oil that was vegetable oil mixed with sunflower oil. When I put the potato slices in it quickly boiled over, and i took the pot off the stove. I took the metal dealie that holds the pots and pans over the fire off, and there's like a pool of oil all over the whole stove. What do I do? it's too much to wipe up with anything less than fifty square meters of wash cloths, so i decide to tip the oven over and pour it into a bowl. As i begin to do this, I very luckily remeber that the meatloaf is in the over, so I save that, no problem. As i tip it more the cover falls down on me and the oven door falls open, the oil goes half into the bowl and half on the floor, and the tops of the gas dispensers fall on the floor, and i happen to try to pick up with my fingers the one that had been under the boiling potato oil, so it was still very hot. ouch.

also, the oven door becamse dislocated, and that took a while to fix. anyway, why was this damn seseme sead oil so bubbly?

2 comments:

Rachel Croucher said...

I'm not laughing. I promise:p

mrdarius said...

what kind of oil were you using? you mention vegetable mixed with sunflower, and then you ask why sesame oil bubbles so much.

if you used the former, it's most likely because vegetable oil has such a low boiling point (190°C) that it neutralizes the sunflower oil's higher boiling point (246°C). That averages out to 218°C, probably lower than you're used to for deep frying stuff.

whatever the reason, that was one of your dumber moments.

This is my counter: