Monday, March 17, 2008

Burton/Deppathon

Saturday afternoon my special lady and I went to see Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It was awesome, and all the singing made me feel like we was doing something more sophisticated than going to the movies and eating crab sticks and tartar sauce that I snuck in from the store. All the blood made her feel like we were doing something far less enjoyable than anything she could think of. So if you're not classy, or you don't like blood and guts, then it's not for you.

Then my special lady went out with some non-special ladies to discuss menses, or something, I don't know. I went to pick up my special baby at kindergarten and get some ice cream on the way home. When we got there we watched Corpse Bride, which is one of her favorite movies. Because of the Burton/Deppathon I decided to pay more attention to it than usual. I noticed a bunch of funny little jokes that you miss if you're not paying attention, as I'm most often not to her various entertainment. However, though the story may be better, I do prefer the songs in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Sunday afternoon before going to church we watched Edward Scissorhands, which I hadn't seen for a decade or more. Interesting juxtaposition between this and the first movie of the weekend: in Sweeney Depp is super vocal, singing or speaking practically constantly; in Scissorhands I don't think he said even 100 words. Very enjoyable: very fairy-tale, but very full of non-fairy-tale elements too. Like the simpsons!

3 comments:

Trashcan said...

I haven't seen sweeney todd, but being a fan of both depp and burton have been looking forward to seeing it at some indeterminant future time. Now that i know you enjoyed it, i'll be looking forward to it even more. Despite a somewhat violent theme, i believe it was catergorized as a musical for the awards shows. Unless it was a comedy.

I've also, coincidentally enough, been thinking that i should see edward scissor hands, because when i saw it, i was far to young to understand or remember any of it. I've also never seen corpse bride. It wasn't clear from your post if you felt that was a good movie, or just more interesting if you pay attention than if you don't.

Aras said...

it is a good movie, it's just more interesting for a younger audience, like a nightmare before christmas. what i meant was that of the two, corpsebride tells a more interesting more funnier story, but nightmare has better songs.

Trashcan said...

I just watched corpsebride. It had quite a few funny moments, and some small details that i thought were well placed. We also watched some of the special features about the making of the movie which was really quite remarkable. I think my favorite line was "why go up there when people are dying to get down here?"

This is my counter: