Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Feeling smarter...or so I thought

By Wednesday I was feeling remarkably better, as if I haven't drank since Saturday, which is true except for a couple glasses of wine last night. I went into one of my ESL classes and asked them about their homework, an assignment listing a few things they want to learn to talk about in English. One of the students replied "leisure time." I replied that I ask them about leisure time every Monday: "How was your weekend, what did you do, where did you go?" He said that most students are too lazy to volunteer to chat. I replied, "So? Let them be silent and let's talk about your fuckin' weekend." After a still moment--I don't know who was more shocked, they or I--with my head down and a hand over my eyes, "I'm sorry. I...don't know what I was thinking...just...sorry...nothing personal, really...I didn't mean anything by that!" And someone spoke up, "don't worry about it, we know everybody talks like that!"

Is that what's called a "brain-fart?" I've never been exactly clear on that term...

No comments:

This is my counter: