Thursday, November 25, 2004

A Miracle!

Yesterday on the way home from college I left my hat in the microbus before meeting Cedric at Iki for our daily grocery shopping. We spent alot of money this time--46 lits--because we bought several sauces that last a long time: tobasco, soy, and bbq. And the dinner plan was tomato soup and chicken club sandwiches; chicken and bacon are both expensive.

Leaving Iki I told Cedric about my hat when I saw him put his on. We talked about how in Vilnius it would be impossible, but maybe in Klaipeda, because it's smaller, it might be possible to get it back. But I had no idea how to call up the central place, and we knew that tomorrow would be too late. The only possible way I would see my hat again is if that same microbus had reached its destination, turned around for another lap, and drove by us on our short walk home.

Low and behold, there she was. I flagged her down, stepped in and said, "excuse me, I don't suppuse you found a black hat with white stripes right down there...?" He went back and got it out of a secret storage compartment for me.

Not only did I cross paths with the same microbus again twenty minutes later, but someone--in Lithuania!--had been honest enough not to keep it, and then he had been honest enough to give it back to me!

That's what I call a miracle. I need to get two more to be a saint, right?

No comments:

This is my counter: