Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Some kind of holiday...and a Lithaunian Oddity...and a bitter sweet dream

This morning I tried to wake up at six to get an hour of correcting papers in before coming to work. It didn't work, as I'm a bit under the weather. I got up at seven instead and came to work and started correcting papers here and preparing material for class. I don't have classses utnil 11:40 on Wednesdays, but I always come in 8:30-9 for projects and class prep. After correcting papers, preparing a lecture on early 20th century American literature, and preparing an activity about scandals for three hours in a tremendous rush, a student came in to see me at 11:38. "Hey, did you know there's no classes after 12 today?"

"What?!"

"Yeah, students' holiday."

After checking to make sure a fool wasn't being made of me, I let her go with instructions to pick up a homework assignment tomorrow, then ran around the building finding all my other classes and giving them homework worksheets that I'd made up in those two minutes--a Christmas crossword puzzle and a Christmas word jumble.

And another thing! It keeps astounding me every day. Taking a microbus here costs 1.50LTL. they drive the same routes as buses, but stop to pick you up/let you out wherever you want. Also they're much more comfortable, and often play decent music, albeit quitely. But they funny thing is you don't have to pay as you board. You can sit down anywhere and ask people to pass your money up for you. Not only do they all do it, but the driver reaches back to take the money, and makes change for you and passes that back, after printing a receipt, while driving the bus!!!

And I had this dream last night. I was walking somewhere. It was crowded, and i had had one beer. I saw and started walking next to one of my cuter students, chatting friendlily (that's a real word). After brushing her hand against mine while walking a few times, we were holding hands. it was a bit loud, so we sort of had to lean in to talk to each other. somehow our lips occasionally brushed against each other, while talking (and still walking!), and eventually we kissed. I immediatly thought of Gedas, because he always tries to convince me that it is, in fact, okay to demand sex from my students, my position being that even consensual sex is unfortunately inappropriate. So either against my will or simply against my better judgement we kept walking, talking, holding hands and kissing, but now I was constantly scanning the crowd, making sure there aren't any other students there who might see us. Then we did see one sitting at a table with some other people and we had to sit down for a beer with them; I couldn't very well say out loud "no, we'd rather go somewhere where nobody will see us." so we sat down and ordered beers. after one sip of beer i was totally shitfaced (miraculously) and started yelling about whatever came into my head. she was squeezing my leg and stepping on my foot under the table in vain. i started pouring the sugar from the sugar bowl into my mouth, eating it all, which is odd cause i never eat sugar. when the sugar was gone, i started eating ground coffee.

2 comments:

Trashcan said...

Also you have the craziest dreams ever. If it's not one thing it's another. Eating ground coffee. That's just disgusting. Not to mention everything else that's horribly wrong with that dream. (notice the futurama refernce, the one where bender is cramming waste down the sewers.) Also you say it's odd that you are eating sugar, but no mention of the oddity of eating coffee grounds? Am i to infer that you eat coffee grounds more often than sugar?

Aras said...

actually, i do consume coffee grounds; my french press (which i found out is called an "italian press" in france) is not perfect, a noticable amount of grounds comes through.

that's cause i paid three lits for it...

This is my counter: