Monday, June 27, 2005

3/4 weekends in vilnius so far in june!

athought actually, there wasn't much to do this time, holiday weekend means so many people left for the countryside that the city was beat, and lotsa places even closed early.

i went out to the countryside one afternoon (6-10 pm) too. we got there and i was sitting shotgun, and when we pulled in a large dog practically jumped through my window, getting dirty paw prints all over the interior of the car, and Juste yells "Arai, nu negalima!" ("Aras, you can't do that!")

And I'm all, "Arai?! Prie ko cia bliet Aras?!" ("Aras?! The fuck does this have to do with Aras?!") As if it's my fault because I had the window opened!

Turns out the dog's name is Aras, too, and she was scolding him, not me.

Also confusing, one of the people that lives there is a four year old girl, Guste. At one point she invited (ordered) me to come pick strawberries with her, and then help her get around on this tricycle with a long handle on the back for grown up assistance. At one point she asked me my name, and when I told her she stared at me blankly as if I was completely retarded, and after a moment squeeled indignantly "that's his name (pointing at the dog)!" she believed me in the end though.

p.s. we ate something that was surprisingly decent: grilled porkchops wrapped in lettuce. we had to do this, because we had no forks or knives or even plates. i thought it would be kinda shitty, but it turned out to be perfectly cromulent. in case you wanna try it, it was chinese lettuce (i'm not sure if that's what it's called state side). and they were grilled over wood embers, not coal.

1 comment:

Rachel Croucher said...

I love stories of petulant little girls, it reminds me of myself when I was little!

This is my counter: