Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tragedy Strikes

The awesomest non-human, non-electronic thing in my life is no more. There was a restaurant, and I won't say a hero-restaurant, cause what's a hero? There was a restaurant, Chili Kaimas, that was the only provider in all of Lithuania for an excellent appetizer, Onion Rings. They were really really good, so much so that they completely earned their name, Vyrų Džiaugsmas (Men's Joy). They were so good, I used to go there just to order some Onion Rings, eat them with a beer, and leave...by myself! (I never eat in restaurants by myself.)

Saturday night we went there, a bunch of us, in Vilnius, and they had new menus, and after just a few seconds my special lady goes "Arai...[there's no more Onion Rings on the menu...]" But I was just like, "Well I'm ordering them anyway!" So I ordered them, and nothing else, cause my special lady and I were gonna share her delicious dish, Kedainiu Blynai with Mushroom Sauce. Sorry, I can't find a satisfacory link to describe Kedainiu Blynai. They're sort of like American-Lithuanian potato pancakes with South-Slavic kibinas filling. Anyway, the waiter's like OK but then he comes back and he's like Sorry, they are no more, so them I'm like, "Then instead, bring me a big knife so I might slit my throat!" I declined another appetizer in its place, explaining that I'm in a delicate state of mourning.

I wrote complaints on three different pages of the complaint book, in three different languages, and I've repeated this process at another location, and I requested that the waiter/ress each time convey my dismay to all who will listen...I can only pray that I get through to them.

9 comments:

Jim Gust said...

Alternatively, why not learn to make your own onion rings, so as to eliminate the dependence upon others for what you want?

A somewhat Randian solution, I know.

Aras said...

i'm not wont to prepare dishes my special lady hates, but i guess i might have to...

Trashcan said...

I don't see that as being particularly Randian. I didn't read many of her books, but i don't recall her suggesting that someone should be a jack of all trades. If you do something well, there's nothing wrong with focusing on that and trading that service for another. If Aras were to completely eliminate dependence on others, he would also need to grow his own food, build his shelter, sew his clothes, drill his own oil (or whatever other energy resource he prefers.)

Trashcan said...

Also kedainiu blynai are by far the best foodstuff in the world. Since the invention of food there have been five foodstuffs that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.

Liepa said...

yes princess bride. speaking of, i need a good movie/tv clip that perfectly portrays a dimension of close relationships we've discussed, and that might work for passionate love. though, i'm not sure... i need suggestions! i could also use a clip about man crushes...

Aras said...

you're wrong on just one point: i wouldn't have to sew my own clothes, because i wouldn't wear any. i'd just go around naked. if at any time i had to wear clothes to bear the weather, i'd take them off a dead guy.

i guess maybe you're right, theoretically, about drilling my own oil, if you expect me to, living as a hermit, produce my own electricity...but i think we all know that it would never, ever happen, not in a million years.

special lady said...

Svogunu ziedai tai dar nieko, bet jei neliktu ir Kedainiu blynu, tai as i Chili Kaima kojos nebekelciau.

mrdarius said...

as tikriausiai net negrisciau i lietuva jei cili nebegamintu kedainiu blynus.

arai -- did they just ban onion rings in klaipeda or cili-wide?

Aras said...

they're taken off the menu chili-wide. well, i've only experianced the utter emptiness of the menu at two locations, one in vilnius, one in klaipeda. the new menus at the two were identical.

kedainiu blynai you can get all over the place. vyru dziausmas was the wonderful thing they made uniquely.

This is my counter: