Friday, March 03, 2006

The Battle of Wills has Begun

My special baby sleeps in the same room as my special lady and I. Sometimes she wakes up and starts screaming. Not crying, just screaming. Not upset, just determined to impact her environment (us). She's teething too, but I don't see how getting into bed with us makes the pain go away instantly.

So it's on now. When I was a baby my parents tried the thing where you just let the baby cry out the night, and the baby'll be so exhausted the following evening he'll sleep like a...um...baby. I totally defeated them, I bawled incessantly for three nights in a row until they caved in.

Can I be as stubborn a parent as I was a baby? Can I will myself to sleep with my special baby howling herself silly ten feet from my ears? I'm pretty confident. After a while last night my special lady caved in, though, right as doubts were possibly about to start creeping in my direction.

To make the battle easier, I figure I can make sweet frozen waffles (they're not for sake in Lithuania), to give her something to suck on and numb her teeth at the same time. Or, I can poke out my ear drums. Any advice?

8 comments:

Liepa said...

take her on a micro bus ride until she falls asleep again

owner said...

So why not just let your special baby sleep with you and your special lady...?

Your special baby, btw, isn't YOURS yours, is it?

Aras said...

giedre, i have a problem finding frozen waffles for my girlfriend's baby.

she's not mine in the sense that i own her, sarunai. nor in the sense that she's my genetic offspring. but she does call me "tete." she also rushes to the front door to hug me when i come home, which is the same thing i did with my father up until i reached the rebel without a cause phase.

Aras said...

the problem with ear plugs is that she's able to break out of her crib. as far as we've gotten is this: close the door and play backgammon in the kitchen until she breaks out of the crip and falls asleep on the couch. it only takes like five minutes if we're not in the room. i don't know why she gets up and wails on the couch instead of at the door, but it's good, because we can just let her sleep there afterwards, until she wakes up a few hours later and climbs on my face.

p.s. i won at backgammon (80 cents).

Jim Gust said...

You broke my will in part because I was afraid the tenants upstairs would start to complain. Knowing what I now know, there's no way I'd give in if you cried for a month. But I was inexperienced, and none of my siblings had behaved as you did.

Also, do not ever let a baby get into your bed at night. That's almost as hard a habit to break as the pacifier. BTW, don't ever give a baby a pacifier.

Rebel without a cause--about age 6?

mrdarius said...

i thought rachel's dad was gonna say to dunk the baby in brandy. oy.

i seem to remember my parents telling me that the only way they could get me to quiet down was to play heavy metal. i guess that's six of one half a dozen of the other or however that saying goes.

Trashcan said...

Hamburger Earmuffs!!!!

Wha, oop ... all right, just stay calm, Frinkie. These babies will be in the stores while he's still grappling with the pickle matrix!

When i first started reading this post, i was thinking to myself, you'll probably never break, just because you couldn't live yourself if you broke, after all your talk about how you wouldn't, but will special lady feel the same way.

i recommened iced tea, it always helped me sleep.

Aras said...

dariau, that reminds me of a moment in gai jin when something really fucked up happened regarding some fowl that was turning. you should read that after tai pan.

tete, i'm inclined to agree with you. my only friend that argues against thinks that you should give babies whatever they want. and i certainly don't want any kids that are like i was, god help me! and as evidence, there's the fact that she never cried to be let into bed until she was more than one. at that time my special lady relocated someplace where sleeping together was necessary sometimes, so the baby just formed the habit later on; before she had it she was totally fine in her crib.

lokys, if i was wearing hamburger earmuffs i would totally eat them.

This is my counter: