Monday, September 29, 2008

Are you twenty years old or just zero?

I wish I was posting this to my other blog, the family blog, cause this antic would be appropriate for a three year old. Alas, it was in my literature class that we were talking about the Renaissance...

Student: Henry VIII wrote a book opposed to leather.
I: What?
Student: He was such a strong Catholic (pronounced kuth-O-lik) that he wrote a book opposed to leather.
I: Really?
Student: Yes! (quotes from book)
I: "Leather" is clothing made from animal hides. 
Student: L..L..Luther?
I: Ah, yes, that's right, that's more like it! Who was Luther?
...silence soaks the classroom...
I: Nobody knows who Luther was? There are several churches in Lithuania called Lutheran Churches. 
Student: Martin Luther King?
I: my jaw drops slightly
Student: Martin Luther King, Junior?
I: my hands clasp the top of my head
Student: Doctor Martin Luther King, Junior?

2 comments:

Trashcan said...

It is weird for lithuanians not to know who martin luther is, because lutherism is very prevalent throughout scandanavia. You would think they would know a little about the religions of their close neighbors.

Anonymous said...

I remember trying to discuss Middle Eastern politics with someone who was a self-proclaimed expert but then didn't know Israel and Egypt shared a border, and they thought the Suez Canal was in Latin America. You can't not drop your jaw at things like this!

Anyway, you reminded me of one of the funnier quotes on The Sopranos, when Tony was complaining to Melfi

"I feel like the Rev. Rodney King, Jr. 'Can't we all just get along?'"

This is my counter: