Monday, February 27, 2006

The Price You Pay for Humility

There's sort of a running joke in my master's classes that I have a usually different, often humorously so, perspective on things, and it's not hard to get me to do something to make that known. At the begining of my exam on Saturday our professor goes "I don't know why you're all so nervous, it's just an exam, you all look you're going to defend your disertations! Well, all of you except for Aras..."

Worrying doesn't help once there's no more preperation to be prepped, from my perspective.

After she corrected them we're all sitting there with our grade books, where she'll have to write in our grade and sign it. After much praise, she said, "you've done so well, I could let you write your grades in yourself!" So I lifted my pen up to write in my 10, and she grabs my arm, "NO, not really!" And everybody laughed at my goofiness.

Then she gets an idea, "don't you think it'd be interesting and fun to write your own grades and see how accurately you manage to evaluate yourselves?" Everybody except for me shouted "NO! We don't want to at all!" While I sat there all casual and smug. I'd noticed her handle my term paper with marked respect, and the exam wasn't that hard. So she goes, "Well, I know at least Aras won't mid participating, will you?" And she sign my grade book with the spot for the grad left blank, and turns the back around to me. I promtly and without hesitation write myself in a 10, and she says, "Exactly what I would have written."

Then she does the same thing for the next girl, but my fellow student is too humble to participate in the experiment. So, game over, now it's time for everyone to go up, one by one, to get the low down on your paper, your exam, and what that makes your final grade. She went first...

She only got a 9!!! She had the chance to give herself a 10, and she was too humble to take it.

6 comments:

Liepa said...

if she had only known that concern with oneself is a positive trait!

Jim Gust said...

Help me out here, Mr. Graduate Student. What is the meaning of the word "mostely" in your header?

Aras said...

mostely means for the greatest part; mainely.

Trashcan said...

i wonder what would have happened if you had put an 11. like even better than a 10, like an A+. maybe you could have been to first student to get more than a 10.

Aras said...

i would have but the student book is considered a document so formal it's superceded only by the nation's constitution. i got bitched out, well, whined at by my boss once for putting a smiley face in one of my students books next to her 10 :)

mrdarius said...

i was hoping so bad liepa's link would go to an ayn rand book...and it did! huzzah!

does mainely mean like with syrup and newenglandy?

This is my counter: